Treatment for Panic/Anxiety

forum post

Treatment for Panic/Anxiety

Published on 02-02-2010

"dsracing99" has authored 3 other posts.

I have had 6 treatments of acupuncture for anxiety and panic attacks. I usually do really good for a couple of days after the treatments and then seem to have a set back. Today has been a pretty rough day and I go tomorrow for another treatment.

Just curious is this pretty normal to happen? I have been feeling somewhat better since I started treatments though. I just really want this to start going away...my acupuncturist said it could take 3-6 months to get my body back in balance.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Below are the most recent, view all here.

• Panic Attacks/Anxiety - 12-31-2021
  • Anxiety - 12-31-2021
  • Anxiety/panic - 12-31-2021
  • Comments / Discussions:

comment by "dsracing99"
    on Feb 2010

Yes it seems like I am starting to have more good days than bad days. And on those bad days I can now seem to work through them a little better. I had just hoped to be feeling a lot better by now and to not be having the shortness of breath everyday which is still happening, but not as strong.

I guess I am just expecting too much too soon? I am able to work and function and all of that really well. I also think it has improved my sleeping somewhat. I am just starting to feel like I will have this forever!!! Although I know that I won't?

Is 3-6 months more like 12-24 treatments before a lot of this will go away?

Thanks so much for your help. You are very knowledgeable and a great help and you give me hope and peace of mind.

top Login/Comment

comment by "ChadD" (acupuncturist)
    on Feb 2010

Yes the ups and downs are quite normal. Oddly enough, however, they are a good sign that things are improving. What happens in most cases initially is that when you start feeling better you notice all that much more when you are feeling "worse". This "worse" can still be better than you were before but compared to the good days/times it's rough.

Your practitioner is exactly right that a 3-6 month time frame is appropriate for these conditions. What we are working with is brain chemistry and most of the chemicals involved are essentially on 3-5 week cycles. So change is slow, particularly initially, but progressive. So long as you feel you are improving and are having more good days than bad just stick with it and it will get better. Once you start having predominantly good days, even the bad days will not seem that bad as your mental ability to not be distracted by how you are feeling will be stronger.

top Login/Comment

All Content 1999-2024
    Chad J. Dupuis / Yin Yang House
    Our Policies and Privacy Guidelines
    Our Affiliated Clinics