Symptoms After Acupuncture Treatment

forum post

Symptoms After Acupuncture Treatment

Published on 09-23-2008

"RUBINA" - this is their first post.

HAD LOWER ABDOMINAL PAIN WENT FOR TREATMENT FOR ACUPUNTURE AFTER TREATMENT NEXT DAY HAD LOTS OF PRESSURE ON MY FOREHEAD WHICH PROGRESSES IN THE DAY,HAS NOT GONE AWAY AFTER A WEEK.ALSO VERY THIRSTY,CANNOT SLEEP AT NIGHT.ALSO PAIN IN SPINE.WENT FOR 2ND TREATMENT BUT SYMPTONS PERSIST.WHAT CAN I DO?DESPERATE.NEED HELP

This post has the following associations:

Acupoints: gb 20

Comments / Discussions:

comment by "ChadD" (acupuncturist)
on Sep 2008

If you search the forums you will see at least a few similar questions and these are always difficult to answer without knowing your case, your medical history, your practitioner, and the points he or she used. Side effects from acupuncture and generally very mild and are rarely experienced by the vast majority of people. Certain styles of acupuncture, however, (generally more aggressive styles) are more prone to these types of reactions.

Generally these reactions are from what we would call over treatment. Basically either using too many points, or being too aggressive with needling techniques. And, of course, using completely incorrect points might cause this, but this is very, very rare.

My recommendation is to discuss your response with your practitioner and if you don't feel comfortable with his/her answer, find another practitioner. If you do feel comfortable with their response you could try a few more treatments, but if you are not steadily improving after 3-5 treatments it is time to see someone else.

top Login/Comment

comment by "ChadD" (acupuncturist)
on Sep 2008

Given the points that I'm guessing he used, that is a very strong reaction that is extremely uncommon (that is, I've never heard of a reaction so strong). If the needles at the base of the skull were inserted extremely deeply at incorrect angles, it is extremely unlikely but somewhat possible that you could have some sort of swelling in the back of the head which could lead to some of the issues you are experiencing. But you had the reaction after the first treatment, not after the points near the base of the skull were used, so it's somewhat unlikely and the other points wouldn't create this type of reaction. I certainly wouldn't continue needling in the GB 20 (if that's the points he/she is using) area if you return to the acupuncturist. I would probably take some anti-inflammatories if possible and wait about a week so long as the symptoms are not worsening (no acupuncture during this time). If you are not feeling better in a week, you should be evaluated by an MD.

These types of reactions are basically unheard of in the west, but in China with some of the deeper needling and heavier manipulation practices there are problems that arise caused by the acupuncture. If your practitioner is doing stronger techniques, then, there is a chance that it is a reaction to them. Again, however, this is very, very rare and there are only a few points that people might react to with very strong techniques and it sounds like these were not used the first treatment.

You could try getting a simple massage, focusing on the neck and upper back and then working down through the legs. These may help to smooth out the reaction. But, I would probably do as I suggested earlier so long as the symptoms are not worsening and that would be to take some anti-inflammatories and do nothing related to the condition for a week. If you are still having issues or they get worse, then see an MD.

Unfortunately, I do not have any recommendations for practitioners in South Africa.

top Login/Comment

comment by "RUBINA"
on Sep 2008

The purpose of my treatment was for lower abdominal pressure.

The first treatment that i went for, the Acupuncturist, inserted needles on the following areas: Base of spine, one on the top of my head, two on each side of my wrist, two on either side of my ankle. after twenty minutes he twisted the needled. I rarely get headaches and no pain in my back at all.

after treatment the pressure was gone from my abdomen. and the next day, i felt heavy pressure in my forehead and sharp twinges on the right side of my head. as the day progresses the pressure intensifies to the point that it causes my eye lids to droop. As well as twinges on various parts of my spine. As well as insomnia. I'm also suffering from extensive thirst which does not seem to be quenched.

I went for a second treatment 3 days after and no improvements. The Dr inserted two needles on either side of the base of my head, directly behind the ears, as well as one ontop of my head and on my hands.

The Dr does not know what is going on and has suggested I go for a CT scan of the head.

I'm from durban, South Africa, with three small children and i cant seem to be coping. im extremely desperate for help, is it possible for me to contact you personally? Do you know of anyone in South Africa that i might be able to go and see.

Thank You For Your Help

Rubina

top Login/Comment

All Content 1999-2024
Chad J. Dupuis / Yin Yang House
Our Policies and Privacy Guidelines
Our Affiliated Clinics