Stir Frying Herbs

forum post

Stir Frying Herbs

Published on 02-26-2015

"Ginko" - this is their first post.

Hi Everybody-
I want to stir fry licorice and dried ginger ‘black’. Separately of course. Do I use honey to do this? Can I use a cast iron pan or should I use stainless steel? How black should I make it?

THANKS in advance for your response!
Ginko

This post has the following associations:

Patterns: stomach yin deficiency

Herbs: gan cao, zhi gan cao

Formulas: wu mei wan, xiao chai hu tang wan

Comments / Discussions:

comment by "ChadD" (acupuncturist)
on Feb 2015

Cast iron is generally better than stainless steel for these processes not least of which because it heats more evenly and not as sharply. And, yes, you can use honey, but there are other substances depending on what functions are you trying to promote. Most of the time “zhi” or liquid frying would utilize honey (moisturizing), liquor (more moving), vinegar (liver issues), ginger (increase warmth and digestive issues). So Gan Cao is commonly fried with honey “Zhi Gan Cao”, which has a much stronger qi tonification properties.

top Login/Comment

comment by "Ginko"
on Mar 2015

Thanks Chad. I am trying to promote a drying function- specifically for diahreea. I think this means it can be stir fried black without water or vinegar or anything- basically charring it. Is that correct? Thanks!

top Login/Comment

comment by "ChadD" (acupuncturist)
on Mar 2015

Yes, in general that is correct. However, as you most likely already know, you do need to be careful about why the diarrhea is there to begin with. So, giving someone drying substances with Stomach Yin deficiency, for example, wouldn’t work well. And drying someone with parasites probably wouldn’t work well either. Not knowing what exactly you are trying to treat, I can only speculate, but from a formula perspective something like wu mei wan or xiao chai hu tang might be relevant examples to look at for broader functions.

top Login/Comment

All Content 1999-2024
Chad J. Dupuis / Yin Yang House
Our Policies and Privacy Guidelines
Our Affiliated Clinics