Scientific studies of acupressure?

forum post

Scientific studies of acupressure?

Published on 01-05-2012

"Hulda" has authored 1 other post.

The struggle for acceptance of acupuncture in the U.S. by insurance companies, incl. Workers Comp, and even by MDs/HMOs, has been largely successful, at least to an extent.

Not so with acupressure. Not only because the range of modalities that can be considered acupressure is broad, including Tui Na, Shiatsu, Jin Shin Jyutsu, and many others. But mainly for the lack of studies deemed scientific by the medical establishment.

We know the benefits, say, for back pain, of using UB 40 in conjunction with the painful area, draining the pain thru UB 40, down to and thru UB 60 and UB 67. Of Sp 9 combined with Sp 13. Of the Qiao Mai. But how do we get past the gatekeepers of bureaucracy?

So far I have unearthed only one study of the benefits of acupressure - in comparison with physical therapy - conducted in Taiwan:

http://www.bmj.com/content/332/7543/696.abstract

Does anyone on this lovely forum know of other studies?

Thanks

Hulda

Below are the most recent, view all here.

• Abdominal Migraines - 12-31-2021
  • Comments / Discussions:

comment by "Hulda"
    on Jan 2012

Chad, thank you so much for this link. I had a feeling that if anyone would know where to find peer reviewed clinical studies, it would be you!

Now I need to wade through to see if I can find any on back pain.

Hulda

top Login/Comment

comment by "ChadD" (acupuncturist)
    on Jan 2012

The vast majority of peer reviewed clinical studies from around the world are accessible at pubmed.gov. You should go to their website and type in acupressure in the search form to get the information you are looking for.

top Login/Comment

All Content 1999-2024
    Chad J. Dupuis / Yin Yang House
    Our Policies and Privacy Guidelines
    Our Affiliated Clinics