Reduction of Cortisol Levels

forum post

Reduction of Cortisol Levels

Published on 11-24-2009

"cardtouche" - this is their first post.

Is there any point which can help to reduce cortisol level in the body?

I have Cushings Disease which is a small growth on my pituitary gland and which means my body produces too much cortisol. Is there a way to reduce this through acupressure?

Thanks

This post has the following associations:

Acupoints: ht 7, li 4, lv 3, pc 6

Comments / Discussions:

comment by "cardtouche"
on Nov 2009

Thank you so much for answering - it looks like I need to consult a local professional but in the meantime, I will try the calming points you recommend.

Thanks once again

Cardtouche

top Login/Comment

comment by "ChadD" (acupuncturist)
on Nov 2009

Cushing's can be helped with acupuncture but it is a difficult condition to treat. I highly recommend you consult with an acupuncturist in your area and begin treatment.

As you are asking about acupressure, there is little that can be done (in my opinion) for conditions of this nature with acupressure. I just don't feel the effects are strong enough. Acupuncture studies have shown mixed effects on cortisol levels with some showing increases and others showing decreases - possibly (but not conclusively) showing a regulatory effect. In general we know that acupuncture reduces stress hormones and levels but all of the mechanisms have yet to be determined. One study which used a point combination called the four gates (LI 4 and LV 3, bilaterally) showed decreased cortisol responses to an external stressor. Of those I would suspect that LV 3 would be of primary importance from an acupressure perspective.

You could try points strongly calming acupressure points such as PC 6, HT 7, LV 3 perhaps with LI 4, but I would recommend you consult with a professional locally and obtain full acupuncture treatment. From that the practitioner should be able to make more precise recommendations for you.

top Login/Comment

comment by "MGindin"
on Aug 2013

Have you had success in treating your cushings? Did you use Acupuncture/pressure?

top Login/Comment

All Content 1999-2024
Chad J. Dupuis / Yin Yang House
Our Policies and Privacy Guidelines
Our Affiliated Clinics