Pulse not felt evenly on both wrists

forum post

Pulse not felt evenly on both wrists

Published on 05-03-2013

"mehtah06" - this is their first post.

What does it mean from an acupuncture perspective when a persons left and right wrist broadcast the pulse very unevenly? For example, a patient who had a strong and noticeable pulse on the right wrist but a weak and barely noticeable pulse on the left wrist? What could be the cause of this unevenness? And are there any solutions?

Thank you for your consideration.

Comments / Discussions:

comment by "ChadD" (acupuncturist)
on May 2013

Start by reading our TCM pulse diagnosis introduction. Each of the 3 positions on each wrist all have different organ system relationships in TCM terms.

top Login/Comment

comment by "chaps0515"
on May 2013

I would reccomend you seek assessment locally as it is impossible to diagnosis accurately from a distance.

top Login/Comment

comment by "chaps0515"
on May 2013

Classical five element acupuncture describes this pulse picture as a husband wife imbalance and it requires immediate correction.

top Login/Comment

comment by "mehtah06"
on May 2013

Actually I am the patient and from the symptoms you have described, I feel somewhat similar [Agitation, tiredness, stress and low back dysfunction (no pain though)] and have been in some stressful situations for a long time- involving my career and relationships- family/others etc.

I do feel burned out and stagnated now and can&#39t seem to move forward. I have also been experiencing similar one-sided symptoms along with the pulse for a while now:

Right side of the body feeling stronger and having better function (breathing, digestion, elimination, muscle spasm) and the left side being weaker and having more dysfunction/numbness with breathing/digesting/elimination. Sort of an uneveneness throughout the body and spine. It probably affects my mood and mind, but I am not sure.

I have also been to a chiropractor about the back issues (incomplete urination and elimination on the left side) but it has not helped very much, so I went to a community acupuncture clinic and the person finally mentioned that the pulse is one-sided... any suggestions on what to do next?

Sadly I can&#39t perform acupuncture on myself and a little limited on funds but any input is appreciated. Thank you!

top Login/Comment

comment by "anon57843"
on May 2013

This sounds like a husband/wife imbalance.

If your patient has low back pain, tiredness, agitation, then this is the most likely problem. An H/W imbalance arises when kidney and liver collapse, usually due to some kind of chronic situation (pain, illness, emotional/relationship conflict, stress etc) and it means the sufferer finds themself stuck, unable to make decisions or move on from anything. Often, they speak of feeling in a no-win situation.

There&#39s no harm in trying the protocol for clearing this significant block

Bl67, Ki7 and 3, Liv4, SI4 all evens for about 15 - 20 minutes. Finish with Ki24 and H7, tonification.

Do not do any other treatments at this time but ask your patient back for a follow up no more than five days after. Repeat as necessary and watch for it coming back further along - in my experience it can take a few goes to clear it completely.

top Login/Comment

comment by "mehtah06"
on May 2013

Is it really serious? I have been experiencing similar one-sided symptoms along with the pulse for about a year now, but I think the symptoms are getting worse.

Right side of the body being stronger and having robust function (breathing, digestion, elimination) , left side being weaker and having more dysfunction/numbness with breathing/digestion/elimination.

top Login/Comment

comment by "mehtah06"
on May 2013

Thanks yeoman, I really appreciate your input and I have an acupuncturist that can help with this. I&#39ll share this treatment with them just in case, but I thanks to your input I have the chance to learn!

Thanks!

top Login/Comment

comment by "anon57843"
on May 2013

OK. Even without seeing you I think this is an H/W. In acupuncture terms, it is an important block, and nothing else you do will work until you move it - no pills, no adjustments, not even acupuncture! LOL

Find an acupuncturist as soon as you can. Even if they are not from the school that recognises H/W (it is a 5 element treatment so not everyone is trained in it) give them the point prescription above and ask them to do it. It is a wonderful treatment, so hopefully they will learn it and add it to their repertoire.

Good luck!

Namaste.

top Login/Comment

comment by "tactile"
on Jun 2013

Hey,

Can you give some further explanation about the theoretical framework of the H / W block? Also, what is the point combination supposed to achieve?

top Login/Comment

All Content 1999-2024
Chad J. Dupuis / Yin Yang House
Our Policies and Privacy Guidelines
Our Affiliated Clinics