Palpitations

forum post

Palpitations

Published on 07-22-2012

"anon170843" has authored 3 other posts.

Hello. This last year, I have experienced more palpitations than I ever had. I sought help with Western medicine and nothing was found. During my research I cam across posts from the Mayo Clinic that suggested Acupuncture so I started treatment with that and the herbs.

Although the severity of them has lessened I still get events occasionally where it lasts for a while. My first TCM doctor always asked me if I drank water because he said I was dehydrated by the looks of my tongue. I do drink no less than 64 ounces a day. However, he was also treating me for flatulence, inablility to sleep for more than 2 hours, inablitly to poop for up to two weeks, dizziness and tintinnitis. I stopped taking treatments from him because he moved to a distant city and it was difficult to get there.

Then I found another doctor closer but I saw no changes in the condition and his prices only included the herbal medicine. I couldn't afford him with no insurance.

Now I am treated by another doctor whom I've seen for about eight weeks every Friday. He gives me acupuncture only and is treating me for anxiety, palpitations and high blood pressure. Most of the time my blood pressure is normal but one day by the time I got to his office, it was 166 over something that was really high and that is why he started treating me for it. I have to say that it had been a stressful morning with traffic jams, road closures, missing my train and then leaving my auto in a parking lot that was for other businesses. Then I had to walk 6 blocks uphill to get to his office... The doctor got way under that in a matter seconds and that is usually what happens. But last time it was a little over normal even though I'd walked the six block in 80 degree weather. He did the same thing and got it down a bit, nothing dramatic. But while I was lying there resting I kept thinking about an incident that had occured earlier that morning at my house. When he took the pressure after 30 minutes, it was higher than the first reading.

Anyway, the digestive problems have decreased a lot. Instead of passing gas every five minutes all day every day, it only occurs occasionally now. I recently had colon hydrotherapy and and it too three sessions to remove the dehydrated fecal matter.

I eat healthily using fruit or vegetable smoothies for breakfast, only healthy oils for my salads, and protein like grilled salmon with no salt. My doctor says I should eat in a manner that makes me happy. Although I do enjoy the healthy dishes I prepare every once in a while I indulge myself.

I would love to be rid of the palpitations or the threat of an occurrence for good. Am I on the right path? Dr. Lim says it takes a while to get my system aligned correctly so that each part functrions properly. He says my digestive system is out of line and since that is connected to my heart, then my conditions will improve when those things are taken care of.

Thank you for listening...

This post has the following associations:

Patterns: kidney yin deficiency, spleen qi deficiency

Below are the most recent, view all here.

Comments / Discussions:

comment by "ChadD" (acupuncturist)
on Jul 2012

First I suggest you read "What Does Acupuncture Treat?" to better understand the process of treating "diagnostic patterns" in Chinese Medicine vs. treating "conditions" as in western medicine. In short, there is no way to treat you for anxiety without treating your dryness and blood pressure for example. From the general symptoms you are describing you are most likely being treated for some variant of Kidney Yin Deficiency with Spleen Qi Deficiency - with KD Yin being predominant.

I would say you are on the right track, although personally given the severity of the insomnia alone you should probably be on herbal medicine as well as acupuncture to help speed things along. While there is no possible way for me to diagnose you over the internet - formulas like Suan Zao Ren and Tian Wan Bu Xin Wan might be appropriate alone and/or mixed with another formula to better account for all of your symptoms.

General acupressure points which may be helpful for you would be HT 7, SP 6 and <a href="http://yyh.li/cv4>CV 4</a>.</p>

top Login/Comment

comment by "ethalfrida" (general)
on Jul 2012

Thank you so much, Chad. The Tian Wan Bu Xin Wan is on its way. I am also going to check out your other suggestions right now.

top Login/Comment

comment by "Amelia_Hirota"
on Jan 2013

I&#39ve had heart palpitations and have treated this many times in the clinic. I know that they are no fun. I&#39ve used a supplement with good luck with patients that had high blood pressure like yourself. The supplement is called Cataplex E2 and it&#39s available through health practitioners that work with Standard Process.

I have used some of the heart focused Chinese formulas with sporatic success. However, when I&#39ve used Cataplex E2 to give the heart tissue the nourishment that it needs, the herbal formulas worked better. Good luck!

top Login/Comment

comment by "Katherine"
on Jan 2013

Dear ethelfrida,

Here are some things that may help you, particularly when you are alone and experience the palpitations (like in the middle of the night).

Try to sit calmly and focus upon your heart. Then imagine that you can smile at it. Keep smiling at your heart until you can feel it smiling back. Reassure one another that it is "o.k. to calm down." This "smiling" activity comes from "The Cosmic Smile" visualization which is a Taoist imagery. It is quite simple to use and has proven highly effective for myself and also for several of my clients when used to simply calm and reassure one&#39s body during a stress reaction.

You can also use the fingers of one hand to gently "walk" up the inside of your other arm, seeking for any places that feel "needy." This is a way to gently stimulate and soothe your upper meridians, which include the pericardium and heart channels.

During NON acute times, you can also use imagery to help you prevent further acute episodes. Try, for example, imagining yourself being "o.k." again, perhaps saying to yourself something like "The episodes are shorter and weaker now, " or "I USED to have these palpitations and digestive issues, but my body has calmed down now." This is a way to "illustrate" to your bodymind system what it is that you want from it.

When you picture what you want, try to "listen" to ideas or feelings or images that come up, which may suggest what your body needs to achieve what you want. Your body knows what it needs, but may be having trouble getting that message across to you when you are upset.

These imagery and energy activities can help, particularly when used as additions to a holistic approach.

top Login/Comment

comment by "Garie4Wellness"
on Jan 2013

I drink coffee once in a while just to keep me awake but I had an experience palpitating after drinking a coffee. Is it bad? Should I stop drinking coffee or is there any other alternatives that I can drink?

top Login/Comment

comment by "ChadD" (acupuncturist)
on Jan 2013

Another name for what we call Kidney Yin Deficiency in Chinese Medicine is "tired and wired". People with yin deficiency need to avoid stimulants of all types (sugar, coffee, tonic herbs, ...). Coffee in and of itself is not bad and occasionally is generally not problematic, but until things are better resolved the more you avoid them the better. If you are tired, you need to work on that through treatment and also honor it when you have the chance - i.e. take a nap when you can instead of pushing through or watching tv or doing anything else.... choose more relaxing activities whenever possible. As your body regains balance your energy will stabilize and be more consistent throughout the day.

top Login/Comment

comment by "anon177722"
on Jun 2014

Zhi Gan Cao Tang from the Shang Han Lun treats palpitations (explicity stated in the original line SHL 177). If you are still having issues this may be another valid formula to explore

top Login/Comment

All Content 1999-2024
Chad J. Dupuis / Yin Yang House
Our Policies and Privacy Guidelines
Our Affiliated Clinics