Organ meridians

forum post

Organ meridians

Published on 07-25-2010

"wilmar12" - this is their first post.

One of our fellow Qigong students had recent surgery to remove a gall bladder. It raised the question in our class as to what happens now, to the Yang meridian that nourised the gall bladder? Suppose the same issue would be applicable to the loss of a spleen.

Thanks.

Wilmar 12

This post has the following associations:

Acupoints: lu 11

Comments / Discussions:

comment by "ChadD" (acupuncturist)
on Jul 2010

This question comes up from time to time (as well as a related one which asks about the impact of piercings on the meridians). With regards to the physical organ that is in many ways such a small part of the Gall Bladder system that the impact energetically is generally considered not significant. The body will re-balance itself and certainly the meridian system continues to function. This is true for any organ that is removed or injured.

Surgical removal of organs is obviously something that should be done as a last resort and unfortunately with the gall bladder in particular it is removed in a huge number of cases when only other western interventions have failed (i.e. they have not tried acupuncture). While the removal of an organ helps symptoms initially many of the underlying issues will find a way to surface regardless.

top Login/Comment

comment by "archived-user"
on Jul 2010

The gall bladder from western medician is different from chinese medician GB channels, Chinese medician has 2 GB channels that mean the engergy channel of GB keep body yinyang engergy balance, the western medician gall bladder organ is a object, and even gall bladder organ been removed, the liver organ still can build up GB energy to support GB channels to keep body yinyang energy in balance situation.

Thank you

top Login/Comment

comment by "ChadD" (acupuncturist)
on Jul 2010

Yes, each meridian basically has an external and an internal branch. These are described in minor detail on our site and then any of the point related resources (at the bottom of each point page) will contain all of the details.

If you view any point page, LU 11 as an example, near the bottom of the point description you will see a line that says "all meridian, basic information, etc.". The internal/external paths are within the "basic information" section for that meridian. If you click on that for the lung meridian you will see internal/external pathways - this is the general description of what you are looking for.

top Login/Comment

comment by "anon65171"
on Jul 2010

That&#39s a great help. Very thoughtful. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

top Login/Comment

comment by "anon65171"
on Jul 2010

Very helpful. Many texts display the meridians showing the flow to a defined organ. Yet they also indicate that Western concepts of organ meridians differ empirically from Eastern views. 1st time I&#39ve seen a comment that attempts to explain this concept. Any idea where one can find further information along this line? ie such as the Triple Warmer, etc. Thanks Again.

top Login/Comment

comment by "anon71867"
on Aug 2010

Every meridian has an associated source point - that is, the acupuncture point through which the organ is most directly nourished. In the case of the gall bladder, it is GB 49, located in an indentation just under the ankle bone on the outside of the leg, where the meridian changes direction from vertical descent to horizontally approaching the end at the 4th toe.

My experience, as someone who had their gall bladder removed years ago (before I was familiar with five element theory) the source point can become "locked" or "frozen". That means that the point is not polarized, and that energy gets caught and doesn&#39t flow through the point easily.

Stress can lead to this response in any acupuncture point, but I imagine that when an organ has been removed that the source energy can no longer flow to the target organ, making it more likely to get caught. This stuckness has, in my own case, resulted in a sprained ankle on an unexpectedly warm December day. My body could not accomodate the sudden rise of wood energy when the temperature became unseasonably warm (about 30 degrees above the previous day). I didn&#39t trip on anything; rather my ankle just gave way. I ended up with 3 areas of my ankle and foot sprained.

The source point (or any other point that becomes unpolarized) can be kept open by shining a flashlight on the point, by flipping one&#39s hand palm down & up over the point a few times, or by bringing all five finger tips together and holding it about 1/4 inch above the point and turning it back and forth as if turning a key.

I&#39d also recommend tracing the meridian. Gall Bladder is one of the longest in the body, with many sharp angles. Tracing it regularly can insure that the energy continues to flow.

top Login/Comment

comment by "anon65171"
on Aug 2010

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and knowledge.

top Login/Comment

All Content 1999-2024
Chad J. Dupuis / Yin Yang House
Our Policies and Privacy Guidelines
Our Affiliated Clinics