Oil Pulling

forum post

Oil Pulling

Published on 12-16-2012

"yangyin" has authored 1 other post.

How far and in what ways Oil Pulling helps?

Thanks in advance.

Below are the most recent, view all here.

• Cavities - 12-31-2021
  • Comments / Discussions:

comment by "ChadD" (acupuncturist)
    on Dec 2012

As "oil pulling" (the process of essentially using a tablespoon of vegetable/sunflower/sesame/etc. oil as mouthwash for 15-20 minutes daily) is an ayurvedic treatment you are generally posting on the wrong website. Here we primarily focus on Chinese Medicine and this falls out of scope. But perhaps some people will respond with their use cases.

There are many health claims related to this technique from heart disease to immune problems to bone problems. More than likely the effect from this technique is via killing/removing low-level bacterial infestations in the mouth that then create immune problems elsewhere in the body.

top Login/Comment

comment by "kellieak"
    on Dec 2012

I am an herbalist and acupuncturist, and I both use oil pulling myself while also recommending it to my patients. I had a female patient in her 60s scheduled for a root canal who was able to avoid this procedure after oil pulling with sesame oil for just one week!

I have seen great improvement in my own gum health over years of doing this off and on for about 3-4 days/week.

Regarding sesame oil, in particular: I recently finished a weekend class with Jeffrey Yuen which focused on cancer and CM nutritional therapy. He spent quite a bit of time discussing the benefits of cold-pressed sesame oil. It is one of the few foods that is naturally higher in omega-3s vs. omega-6s, so naturally reduces inflammation.

Swishing - or oil pulling - with sesame oil for 10-20 minutes removes mucus and toxins from the mouth and teeth. Since this is the first inlet to the digestive system, imagine what this does for the digestive system and intestines!

It is my understanding that oil pulling is originally an ayurvedic technique, possibly around as a form of brushing and flossing before we had those tools. I highly recommend it to anyone with oral or digestive issues.

Kellie

top Login/Comment

comment by "anon221643"
    on Dec 2012

Hello, I have some experience with oil pulling and use it quite often to alleviate sinusitis, tooth and gum issues along with general wellness. Not sure what your specific issue is but here are a few things I do.

It is important to brush your teeth first to clean. I like to add a drop or two of essential oil. to my pull. I use abuot 15 cc of water in a shot glass and add FCO. I use a specific brand of essential oils that are labeled a supplement because its tested like 5 times for impurities and fillers. I also use a fractionated coconut oil but you can use regular coconut oil or grapeseed if handy. Peppermint adds a nice zing and I&#39ll add lemon and lavender to clear sinus congestion. Clove is known to promote good dental health. OnGuard is a blend that contains clove. It has a great flavor. Many oils are anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-viral. Adding a drop of essential oil would naturally seem to increase the efficacy of the pull

Swish leisurely for 15-20 minutes and go on about your business. I take a shower, fold clothes, read or just do whatever. When you’re done, be sure and spit in the trash. Coconut oil hardens below 76 degrees (unless you get fractionated). Given this, it could possibly clog your drains in colder weather. I’m no scientist but this just seems logical to me.

The mouth is an entry way into the body so keeping it clean and allowing the oils to absorb via soft tissue of the mouth allows for faster healing. Oil pulling is cheap, easy, simple and has a ton of benefits.

top Login/Comment

All Content 1999-2024
    Chad J. Dupuis / Yin Yang House
    Our Policies and Privacy Guidelines
    Our Affiliated Clinics