Liver Fire, Tinnitus, Fear and Sinus Problems

forum post

Liver Fire, Tinnitus, Fear and Sinus Problems

Published on 08-28-2014

"archived-user" has authored 334 other posts.

Dear all,

I was recently diagnosed with Liver Heat by my TCM doctor. I am now on week 6 of my treatment with daily herbal decoctions.

Could anyone offer some additional insight on the condition with the correct terminology as my doctor is not a native English speaker? I would appreciate any further explanation and/or hints and tips to speed along my recovery. The doctor says I responded well in the first week, but am now progressing a little bit more slowly as he is trying to reduce the tinnitus, which he says may be connected with the kidneys.

The tinnitus was aggravated I believe in January this year after receiving accupuncture from another doctor - as I understand it, acunpuncture can aggravate a liver condition like mine.

The doctor explained to me that the liver heat was caused by stress, and that the sinus problem was due to low wei qi immunity as a result of a very poor sleeping pattern. He has advised me to reduce stress, avoid cold drinks and improve my sleeping pattern, which I am doing. He also said that I should wear long sleeves as my pores are open sometimes, and I can easily catch a cold this way.

The first week's prescription (see below) did a marvellous job on my general sense of wellbeing and seemed to dispel the feeling of circulating heat in my body. A few weeks on now, and after a few changes in the herbal mix, the sinuses are much better too. The doc is still trying to reduce the tinnitus symptoms and mentioned something about adding something to treat the kidneys.

A little bit of background:

I first started having colds, sinus problems, fever and lethargy about 12 years ago.

List of symptoms:

1. Feeling of fear/fright/anger around the solar plexus (perhaps even liver area) - still present, especially in the morning - wake up with shallow breathing.
  2. Circulating heat - better now.
  3. Intermittent sinus congestion, accompanied by anxiety and chest pressure during exercise - better now.
  4. Frequent colds - still catching colds.
  5. Tinnitus - still present.
  6. Anxiety - better now.
  7. Occasional, mild dizzy turns - better now.
  8. Stomach upset that lasts for days after hard exercise - still present.
  9. Occasional mild headaches (a more recent issue) - better now.

Initial Prescription (week 1) (don't know the changes for weeks 2 - 6)

1. Chai Hu (Thorowax root)
  2. Bai Zu (Atractaloides Rhizome)
  3. Tian Ma (Gastrodium Rhizome)
  4. Sheng Jiang (Ginger)
  5. Da Zhao (Chinese Date)
  6. Zhi Gan Cao (Liquorice Root)
  7. Ci Shi (Magnetite)
  8. Bai Shao Yao (White Peony Root)
  9. Dai Zhe Shi (Hematite)
  10. Chao Mai Ya (Barley Sprout)
  11. Shi Chang Pu (Sweetflag Rhizome)
  12. Bai Zi Ren (Arbor-Vitae Seed)
  13. Zin Yi Hua (Magnolia Flower)
  14. Cang Er Zi (Cocklebur Fruit)
  15. Bo He (Peppermint)

Many thanks in advance for any additional insights or hints/tips on how to speed my recovery, e.g., diet etc.

Thanks,

Bob.

This post has the following associations:

Patterns: liver fire

Below are the most recent, view all here.

• What is a cun? - 12-31-2021
  • Acupuncture Education for DO's and MD's - 12-31-2021
  • Ion Cords - 12-31-2021
  • Comments / Discussions:

comment by "ChadD" (acupuncturist)
    on Aug 2014

Sounds like you are doing great and that your doctor is explaining everything and giving you proper cautions. Just hang in there with your current doctor and try to follow their advice. They know more about your condition than we do based on your description. I would give you treatments 3-6 months - the tinnitus particularly with frequent infections will probably be the hardest part to get rid of completely.

For more general information, I would suggest you read a couple articles of mine - "My Liver is What?" and "My Kidneys are What?" - these go through the basics of those systems from a TCM point of view and have some general recommendations (diet, lifestyle, etc.). There is also our TCM diagnosis section, so the one for liver fire may be useful to peruse.

top Login/Comment

comment by "anon71867"
    on Sep 2014

There are many things that you can do to enhance your response to your acupuncture treatments. Specifically, Eden Energy Medicine (EEM) offers many prescriptive energy exercises that will bring more balance to your vital energies. This will help you address energetic patterns that are manifesting in the symptoms you mention. If you want to learn more about this discipline, you can glean some information about on Youtube. Some specifics to look for : correcting homolateral energy (that is not crossing at the midline; correcting scrambled energy (with the Wayne Cook (sitting) or Tibetan Prayer Pose (standing) exercise; calming Triple Warmer (that relates to the stress response) and balancing Triple Warmer and Spleen (that is the foundation of a healthy immune response); grounding (with "where&#39s my belt"; and strengthening the aura (for which there are a number of exercises.

top Login/Comment

comment by "anon71867"
    on Sep 2014

Many of us habitually suppress emotions rather than addressing them, and this adds to the body&#39s stress, making it more likely that physical symptoms will arise and be more persistent. A Taoist practice known as The Six Healing Sounds may be helpful in addressing emotions as related to specific organs. For example, kidneys are associated with fear while liver is associated with anger. Another easily accessible approach to transforming emotions is known as The Sedona Method. For working more directly with thoughts, an energy psychology approach known as Be Set Free Fast works well. In addition, Emotional Freedom Technique can be applied to thoughts, emotions, and for balancing the meridian&#39s energies. All of these processes can be found described on the internet.

top Login/Comment

comment by "anon195697"
    on Sep 2014

Thanks Chad, the reassurance was helpful.

I&#39ve went over the articles, and they&#39re all good general info.

Apart from the tinnitus, which I can deal with, the most troublesome issue is the feeling of fear / tension distributed around my solar plexus. It flares up at the slightest stressor, or annoyance, and then settles down when I&#39m relaxed. I&#39ve had this symptoms for a few years now.

Any idea what this is?

Cheers,

Bob.

top Login/Comment

All Content 1999-2024
    Chad J. Dupuis / Yin Yang House
    Our Policies and Privacy Guidelines
    Our Affiliated Clinics