GUI PI WAN pills--question about warning on box

forum post

GUI PI WAN pills--question about warning on box

Published on 10-09-2013

"archived-user" has authored 334 other posts.

Hello,

I've been taking the TCM herbal supplement called Gui Pi Wan. (the symptoms I'm dealing with are anxiety and heart palpitations)

I'd say they have been helpful. (previously I have taken Suan Zao Ren Tang & Tian Wan Bu Xin) I can't really say which pills I've found more helpful yet. I guess I need more time to compare. However, there is a sentence on the warnings on the Gui Pi Wan box that caught my eye and I wonder if anyone here can explain it to me:

"May potentiate potassium depletion of thiazide diuretics and stimulant laxatives as well as the action of cardiac glycosides and cortisol."

I'm not sure if it's the wording, or a bad translation, but I have a hard time making sense of this. Is it refering to interractions with other medicines, or bodily functions in general?

It also indicates "not for prolonged use" but doesn't specify what constitutes "prolonged use".

I'd appreciate any help in deciphering this info.

Thanks.

Below are the most recent, view all here.

• What is a cun? - 12-31-2021
  • Acupuncture Education for DO's and MD's - 12-31-2021
  • Ion Cords - 12-31-2021
  • Comments / Discussions:

comment by "Villarreal_Paul"
    on Oct 2013

Thank you!

I don&#39t have those conditions, nor am I on any medication, so that makes me feel better. I still wonder if I should try and make sure I&#39m getting a little more potassium in my diet than normal just in case?

top Login/Comment

comment by "ChadD" (acupuncturist)
    on Oct 2013

That is referring to interactions with other medicines. It&#39s quite direct wording describing particular classes/composition of western pharmaceutical drugs. Essentially anyone with diabetes or hypertension (among other conditions) should only use this formula under the guidance of a licensed practitioner. If you are uncertain about potential interactions with any medicines you may be on you should consult with a practitioner locally.

top Login/Comment

comment by "ChadD" (acupuncturist)
    on Oct 2013

Generally speaking at most of the dosages that you could get from the pill form you will not have to adjust anything.

top Login/Comment

All Content 1999-2024
    Chad J. Dupuis / Yin Yang House
    Our Policies and Privacy Guidelines
    Our Affiliated Clinics