Green Tea?

forum post

Green Tea?

Published on 11-18-2009

"lmalhotra" has authored 1 other post.

I go to bi-weekly sessions at an acupuncture school.

Last night, I had a new intern. We were reviewing my diet and he said that I was consuming too much green tea and that it was actually an anti-diuretic. Everything that I have read online states the opposite.

Has anyone else heard of this? or was my intern incorrect?

Thanks for the help!

Below are the most recent, view all here.

Comments / Discussions:

comment by "archived-user"
on Nov 2009

green tea is very good for health, it can dilate blood vessel and lower your bloodpressure.

thank you

regards

Feng Mei

top Login/Comment

comment by "ChadD" (acupuncturist)
on Nov 2009

Caffeine is a diuretic - fairly mild but a diuretic nonetheless. While green tea has many possible health benefits, excessive caffeine intake can contribute to various health issues - dehydration, anxiety, insomnia, etc. I'm not sure why they would think green tea makes you retain water, but that is clearly wrong... Caffeine actually inhibits the antidiuretic hormone, so perhaps that is what they were trying to say. It might make sense if I understood the context, but hopefully this will suffice.

top Login/Comment

comment by "Cecil07"
on Oct 2010

The secret of green tea lies in the fact it is rich in catechin polyphenols, particularly epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG). EGCG is a powerful anti-oxidant: besides inhibiting the growth of cancer cells, it kills cancer cells without harming healthy tissue. It has also been effective in lowering LDL cholesterol levels, and inhibiting the abnormal formation of blood clots. The latter takes on added importance when you consider that thrombosis (the formation of abnormal blood clots) is the leading cause of heart attacks and stroke.

Marji McCullough, ScD, RD, the American Cancer Society&#39s strategic director of nutritional epidemiology, says human studies haven&#39t yet proven what researchers like Chan have discovered in the lab: green tea&#39s EGCG regulates and inhibits cancer growth and kills cells that are growing inappropriately.

top Login/Comment

comment by "Kristen"
on Apr 2012

I believe that anything , even if good for us, could be harmful if used incorrectly or in excess. It have no idea how much green tea you are actually consuming - but too much tea could aid in dehydration of the body because of its caffiene. Combine that with not enough water intake, and you could be dehydrating yourself. Maybe that is what your intern was trying to tell you by using the term "anti diuretic?" Green tea is an amazing product, and low on the caffiene scale anyways .... just some food for thought! Literally :)

top Login/Comment

comment by "Jimadamik"
on Jan 2014

Hello. On a side note to the article on Green Tea. I have read that White Tea has more antioxidents than most other teas including Green Tea. I believe it would be helpful to all to read up on this.

Namaste,

Jim Adamik

top Login/Comment

All Content 1999-2024
Chad J. Dupuis / Yin Yang House
Our Policies and Privacy Guidelines
Our Affiliated Clinics