Closest TCM formula to

forum post

Closest TCM formula to

Published on 05-13-2016

"opusensemble" - this is their first post.

For stroke recovery.

The herbal components are:

HUANG QI (Q1) - (ASTRAGALI MEMBRANACEI RADIX)
DAN SHEN (SALVIAE MILTIORRHIZAE RADIX)
CHI SHAO YAO (PAEONIAE RUBRA RADIX)
CHUAN XIONG (LIGUSTICI WALLICHII RHIZHOMA)
DANG GUI SHEN (ANGELICAE SINENSIS RADIX)
HONG HUA (CARTHAMI TINCTORII FLOS)
TAO REN (PRUNI PERSICAE SEMEN)
YUAN ZHI (POLYGALAE TENUIFOLIAE RADIX)
SHI CHANG PU (ACORI GRAMINEI RHIZOMA)

Thank you for your help

This post has the following associations:

Issues/Symptoms: stroke (cva)

Formulas: xiao yao wan, zhong feng hui chun wan

Comments / Discussions:

comment by "StephenS" (acupuncturist)
on May 2016

What are you asking - if there is a formula that contains the exact ingredients you listed? Where did you get this list of herbs?

top Login/Comment

comment by "opusensemble"
on May 2016

Hello Stephen.
Thank you for your reply.

My original topic subject and question description included the source of formula, but I can see now that the reference was erased by the community moderators, which I respect and understand as it’s a licensed product in the EU and US used for stroke recovery. It has a patent (if it can be shared here let me know)

I would like to find a TCM formula that contained the same principles this formula does, as this formula price is prohibitive (around 2000€ for 3 months supply). I’ve seen somewhat similar formulas (just list of herbs, some coincident, not the actual formula name) in TCM books related with brain support but decided to ask this here in case there is a TCM formula that has similar list of ingredients, which according to the literature on this formula, and the way it was discovered, hints that it was based on ancient tradition, so most likely there are formulas that contain most of the ingredients.

Thankful for your help,
Kind Regards,
Joao

top Login/Comment

comment by "ChadD" (acupuncturist)
on May 2016

I believe that company has a few different versions depending on what stage of the stroke/recovery process you are in. While they do have some studies backing up their work, there is more history with any number of properly tailored formulas for stroke recovery and the right one for the patient along with acupuncture will give them the best results in my opinion. There are rarely great results from using standardized formulas that mesh with symptoms not a Chinese Medicine diagnoses - like how they should be prescribed.

I’m not sure of the rules in the EU/UK, but if you are a practitioner and you have the ingredients you could just have it produced by an herbal company for you. In the US, the major herbal companies can make custom formulas for you in whatever batches you need and the prices are generally fairly inexpensive. An experienced herbalist at one of these companies can likely create this for you with proper balance.

As for common stroke recovery formulas - these depend a bit on the individual diagnosis (nothing in Chinese Medicine is all that universal as I’ve said). But most are listed on our stroke treatment options page. Zhong Feng Hui Chun Wan is a commonly used formula, Bu Nao Wan is another that is useful in certain cases, even Xiao Yao Wan can be helpful or Chai Hu Shu Gan Wan depending on the underlying diagnosis and current symptoms.

top Login/Comment

All Content 1999-2024
Chad J. Dupuis / Yin Yang House
Our Policies and Privacy Guidelines
Our Affiliated Clinics