Cannabis and acupuncture

forum post

Cannabis and acupuncture

Published on 02-06-2014

"archived-user" has authored 334 other posts.

Hi,

I'm having acupuncture for several issues, mainly chronic fatigue and IBS. I've been getting kidney points, and then heart and liver points more recently. I'm also taking herbal medicine to complement the therapy. My question is: before starting the acupuncture I was using cannabis medically (live in Colorado) to help with the IBS and sleep issues (for which it was helping quite a bit, especially the first month). I stopped when I started the acupuncture because I wanted to see what acupuncture alone could do, and while it helped somewhat, my sleeping issues are still pretty prominent.

I feel a little uncomfortable talking about this with my acupuncturist since he's an older guy, but my main question is: is it possible that cannabis can interfere with the acupuncture therapy in a bad way (my acupuncturist often says that western medicine can interfere with acupuncture) or it's ok to use in addition to the therapy?

ive been reading that acupuncture among the other things is proven to stimulate the endocannabinoid system, which makes me think that cannabis could either work synergistically with acupuncture or kind of "clash" with it. Also I think. I read that Cannabis is included in the medical herbs of Chinese medicine but I'm not clear for what! and obviously being illegal in most places I can see why there's not a lot of info for its use with acupuncture.

if anybody could shed some light on the matter. I would be extremely grateful!

Below are the most recent, view all here.

• What is a cun? - 12-31-2021
  • Acupuncture Education for DO's and MD's - 12-31-2021
  • Ion Cords - 12-31-2021
  • Comments / Discussions:

comment by "ChadD" (acupuncturist)
    on Feb 2014

"I feel a little uncomfortable talking about this with my acupuncturist since he&#39s an older guy, but my main question is: is it possible that cannabis can interfere with the acupuncture therapy in a bad way (my acupuncturist often says that western medicine can interfere with acupuncture) or it&#39s ok to use in addition to the therapy?"

You should always discuss everything relevant with your practitioner and this is certainly relevant. If you are interested in using herbal medicine with your treatment you should consult with an acupuncturist who also practices Chinese Herbal Medicine. There are numerous formulas that when properly diagnosed and prescribed can be extremely useful and have far more research and a track record behind them for the issues you have than cannabis.

top Login/Comment

comment by "John_Scalice"
    on Feb 2014

While cannibis is used in Chinese herbalism, I have only seen the seeds used and generally as part of a formula never alone. The method of ingestion was as a tea or decoction and never by smoking.

At any rate I would agree with Chad that is important to tell your acupuncturist about this if only so he doesn&#39t misinterpret what he sees during his examination which might affect his treatment plan.

top Login/Comment

comment by "Peteciomb"
    on Feb 2014

I I ended up talking about with the acupuncturist and he gave me the green light, saying he doesn&#39t see any reason why I shouldn&#39t use it.

So I went back on it, but unfortunately it seems like the sleep issues I&#39m having now are resistant even to Cannabis, so I think I&#39m really shit out of luck...

top Login/Comment

comment by "anon110966"
    on Feb 2014

Hi,

accordingly to Giovanni Maciocia cannabis consumption will impair Zhi and therefore the Kidneys so I&#39d be careful with it and I&#39d talk with the acupuncturist about that

top Login/Comment

comment by "ChadD" (acupuncturist)
    on Feb 2014

This is meant in no way as a judgement against your current practitioner, but based on what you have written I would strongly suggest finding someone else. Insomnia and related issues are quite commonly treated and while full resolution can take weeks to months, noticeable progress should be within the first 3-7 treatments, particularly if herbal medicine is used. Ideally you will see a practitioner who can also work on your diet and lifestyle habits - both of which can be extremely helpful if modified correctly.

top Login/Comment

comment by "Peteciomb"
    on Feb 2014

I understand what you mean, but while everything is possible, I&#39m not sure it&#39s the oractitioner&#39s fault. I didn&#39t write all the details, but I&#39ve already been doing diet, lifestyle changes, and he&#39s been giving me herbal medicine the whole time. Not only he told me it&#39s the first time someone is resistant to the treatment and herbal medicine, but I personally met some other patients that were swearing by his treatments and herbal medicine, and saying their sleep got so much better.

I also have a bit of a history with being an exception. Starting when I was a kid and had one of my canines being reabsorbed by my jaw bone (forgot the medical name of this condition) at such an early age that this phenomenon was not thought to be possible. I have psoriasis in a way that dermatologists say doesn&#39t make sense (not because it&#39s bad, it&#39s pretty mild actually, but it&#39s how I have it), and so on.

This is just to say, yes sleep problems are very common,and usually treated successfully. And yes most people think they are special and have unique problems. However among all these people there is always someone who actually is an exception, that&#39s all I&#39m saying.

Ive been going since the beginning of January, so I will probably suspend therapy soon since clearly it&#39s not 100% working (some things did improve, like the IBS, unfortunately the main ones, fatigue and sleep patter didn&#39t) and possibly try something or someone else.

top Login/Comment

comment by "Bartercal"
    on May 2015

Thank you for some other informative website. The pace may just I get that kind of information written in such a perfect method? I have a venture that I am simply now running on, and I’ve been at the glance out for such info. ecstasy prices

top Login/Comment

All Content 1999-2024
    Chad J. Dupuis / Yin Yang House
    Our Policies and Privacy Guidelines
    Our Affiliated Clinics