Auricular acupuncture

forum post

Auricular acupuncture

Published on 01-14-2010

"archived-user" has authored 334 other posts.

Submitted By: Aphrodite

I am new to this forum. It has been brought to my attention that the vagus nerve innervates the auricle of the ear and that one of the functions of auricular acupuncture is to affect the organs of the body. I realize this is a question from a very western medical point of view.

I recently spoke with an MD who was discussing the vagus and he was unaware that the vagus was in the auricle. Can you steer me to a diagram and explanation of this. Perhaps he will come to amore eastern understanding of the body and be able to use acupuncture resources. For now, this is the best way to make an impression on him

This post has the following associations:

Acupoints: st 10, st 11, st 12

Below are the most recent, view all here.

• What is a cun? - 12-31-2021
  • Acupuncture Education for DO's and MD's - 12-31-2021
  • Ion Cords - 12-31-2021
  • Comments / Discussions:

comment by "ChadD" (acupuncturist)
    on Jan 2010

There is a branch of the vagus nerve that innervates the inner portion of the outer ear. This branch is called the "Alderman's nerve" or "Arnold's nerve". The vagus nerve, actually heavily used in our system from the ST 10, ST 11, ST 12 area more than auricular-wise which we use sparingly, carries sensory information from the physical organs in the body and elsewhere. The vagus contributes to the control of heart rate, blood pressure, stress, gastrointestinal issues, sweating, speech, breathing, and more... We tend to use the points above as we feel it is a more direct approach to stimulate the vagus with our tools, there are, of course, many ways to accomplish this.

Auricular acupuncture is a microsystem of acupuncture. Microsystems are systems focused on one area (the ear, certain parts of the hand, certain parts of the feet, etc.) where you can access and treat illness anywhere in the body. Technically you can treat the majority of conditions treatable by acupuncture by just using ear points although most acupuncturists either focus primarily on body points which can be more direct or use a combination. The possibility of auricular points reaching throughout the body may very well be due in part to this branch of the vagus nerve. There are, however, points in the ear which create changes that have nothing to do with the functions of the vagus nerve - yet that doesn't mean that the messages don't initially travel via that route.

top Login/Comment

comment by "pejo_mstd"
    on Jan 2010

Have a look at this, http://education.yahoo.com/ref...

or maybe more important, have your MD look, he should know his anatomy, it is pretty common knowledge at least if you had some anatomy that the vagus nerver innervates the ear.

However, it is pretty hard to try to force someone to change. specially old dogs.

top Login/Comment

All Content 1999-2024
    Chad J. Dupuis / Yin Yang House
    Our Policies and Privacy Guidelines
    Our Affiliated Clinics