Acupuncture to regulate period and fertility

forum post

Acupuncture to regulate period and fertility

Published on 08-09-2012

"mimay" - this is their first post.

Hi! I just recently finished 11 sessions of acupuncture for fertility and to regulate my period. I have been diagnosed with PCOS on September 2010 and have been going to my OB for treatment. Every month its either I developed a new cyts of I don't ovulate. June this year I didn't have my period so my doctor gave me primolut-n to induce period. After my period for July (July 8 - 10, 2012) she checked me for cysts, and found out that my ovaries are clear. That's when we have decided to stop taking clomid and other fertility drugs and decided to check acupucnture.

My practitioner, checked my pulse, my tongue and asked me about my medical history. I was CD11 that time when he started with my first session. I was scheduled for 10 consecutive sessions and was told to have one session 2 days before my expected period. I was expecting my period August 8. My cycle before my pcos was usually 30-31 days.

I have been taking my BBT this month too. And my temps are erratic. I don't know why. We have been under stress for the past three days.
So my questions are the following:

- How many sessions will it take for my period to regulate?

- Is it possible that my pcos caused my delayed period?

- my bbt is decreasing for 3 days, but no sign of period, does acupuncture also affect bbt?

Thanks for answering.

Comments / Discussions:

comment by "ChadD" (acupuncturist)
on Aug 2012

- How many sessions will it take for my period to regulate?

This is impossible to say without having the chance to physically inspect you and discuss your entire medical history. Generally speaking, however, it will take 3-6 months as a minimum.

- Is it possible that my pcos caused my delayed period?

Sort of... The deeper imbalance that is driving the menstrual issues, pcos, and fertility issues is what is causing all of it. When properly diagnosed and treated all of these issues should improve and ultimately lead to conception.

- my bbt is decreasing for 3 days, but no sign of period, does acupuncture also affect bbt?

Yes, but again, it affects the deeper aspects of the irregular cycles. I would start by reading "What Does Acupuncture Treat?" for a decent description of treating patterns from a Chinese Medicine perspective vs. treating symptoms from a western medicine perspective. This will help you to better understand the approach from your TCM practitioner.

top Login/Comment

comment by "mimay"
on Aug 2012

ok so taken that my delayed period is caused by my pcos, does it mean that my ovaries can still producing cyst during acupuncture treatment? if i have delayed period...should i go to my acupuncturist or to my OB? thanks for the insights.

top Login/Comment

comment by "T_Joosub"
on Aug 2012

The choice is entirely yours. Look at cost, side effects. OB often use hormonal manipulation such as clomid causing multiple follicular stimulation with resultant greater side effect and not neccessarily good ovum development. My experience shows the use of acupuncture with ch herbs to regulate menses and fertility to be cost effective with virtually no side effects. Very important you treat the pattern diagnosis rather than the western diagnosis as Chad has always been pointing to.

top Login/Comment

comment by "mimay"
on Aug 2012

good point. the thing about being cost effective..if I go to my OB I would pay less than what I pay for my acupuncturist because of my medical insurance. But the side effects, I don&#39t want to be too dependent to medicines. I have been in medication for almost two years. Anyway, I tested yesterday and came out BFN. I&#39ll just wait a few more days before contacting my acupuncturist. I just don&#39t understand that it is still possible to produce cysts even if I am already undergoing acupuncture treatment. Can acupuncturist induce period also?

top Login/Comment

All Content 1999-2024
Chad J. Dupuis / Yin Yang House
Our Policies and Privacy Guidelines
Our Affiliated Clinics